Throughout the year, the ICRC continued its regular visits to places of detention, supporting detaining authorities in adhering to international standards and responding to emergencies.
Since December 2013, the ICRC has:
- Visited over 4,300 people held in various places of detention assessing treatment and material, with the view to facilitate detaining authorities to improve conditions when needed;
- Supported cholera prevention measures and delivered clean water in Juba and Torit prisons, including a donation of cleaning and hygiene products;
- Organized hygiene promotion sessions for some 1,700 detainees and staff;
- Helped about 50 detainees re-establish or maintain contact with their families;
- Provided a two-week food supply for over 350 detainees affected by the emergency.
The ICRC shares its observations directly and confidentially with the detaining authorities after the visits, makes recommendations and provides support to the authorities.